To celebrate 10 years of financial fitness, we're taking the next 10 weeks to highlight our favorite resources (and introduce a few new ones!) in an epic 10-week challenge!
April is Financial Literacy Month! And this year, it's extra special for Feed the Pig because it marks ten years of helping you save! Over the years we've grown and evolved, and it's been exciting to watch our loyal fans grow with us.
As our gift to you, we're taking the next 10 weeks to highlight our favorite resources (and introduce a few new ones!) in an epic 10-week challenge. That's right, we're kicking it off in April to celebrate #FLM2017 but taking you all the way to June! Each week we'll tee up an action for you to take to improve your financial understanding. Share your success using the hashtag #FTP10Challenge!
To get things started, we challenge you to visit feedthepig.org and read one article. We know, we know, this sounds like homework. And, well, it kind of is. But, we promise you'll have fun and will hopefully learn something too! Afterwards, share what you learned with us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Snapchat with the hashtag #FTP10Challenge.
We can't wait to celebrate the next 10 years with you!
Welcome to Week 2 of the Feed the Pig 10-week challenge! We loved seeing what everyone learned last week during the first challenge. It's not too late to share what you've learned on feedthepig.org using #FTP10Challenge!
This week's challenge is even more fun! It's time to find a "savings buddy" to join you in the challenge. Reaching goals is always easier when you have someone to hold you accountable, like running mates, study partners, etc. So this week, team up with your buddy and brainstorm ways to help each other save. Ideas could include creating the ultimate guide for local, budget friendly activities or even going on a spending diet together. Make sure your buddy is signed up for the Weekly Tip so they can follow along! Just point them to the Feed the Pig homepage.
Welcome to Week 3 of our 10-week #FTP10Challenge! To help boost our financial literacy efforts, we partnered with Buzzfeed to bring some extra fun into your savings goals.
1. Do you ever wonder what your "Sunday Funday" brunch says about your finances? Does ordering a mimosa instead of coffee allude to where you're going in life? We think so! Take this quiz to find out what your brunch order has to say about what you'll be doing in 10 years.*** Don't like what you see? Start with the small changes - they add up!
2. Looking to save money? Check out these 10 charts that may hit pretty close to home. The struggle is real! Your challenge this week is to share your favorite with us on Facebook and Twitter with #FTP10Challenge!
***Disclaimer: Actual life results may vary with future smart financial decisions.
Nope, we're not talking about your abs - it's time to crunch those numbers to better understand your finances!
For Week 4's challenge, take a long, hard look at your budget, test out at least two of our calculators, and share what you learned on social media with the hashtag #FTP10Challenge! To get you started, here are a few of our most popular calculators:
- Emergency Savings: This calculator helps you determine how much emergency savings you may need, and how you can begin saving toward this important goal.
- Rent vs. Buy: Not sure whether to keep renting or if it's time to buy a home? This calculator helps you weed through the fees, taxes and monthly payments to help you make a decision.
- Accelerated Debt Payoff: This calculator can show you how to accelerate your debt payoff. You can save hundreds, even thousands in interest and shave years off your loan!
- Lunch Savings: One of the best ways to increase your savings is to spend less. This calculator illustrates how a little lunch savings can go a long way.
We've been around for a while - 10 years to be exact! Ten years of helping you feed your piggy bank with helpful tools, tips and other resources to guide you on your path to financial stability.
Along the way, we've produced fun ads to help encourage you to save, and this week we challenge you to a game of "Eye Spy!" Have you seen one of our PSAs? Spotted one IRL? Snap a pic and share with us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #FTP10Challenge!
We're halfway through the #FTP10Challenge, so keep up the great work and keep filling up those piggy banks!
We've passed the halfway point in the #FTP10challenge! This week's task is designed to test what you know and hopefully teach you something new. We promise you'll use this knowledge way more than knowing how to calculate the length of a hypotenuse. Plus, you'll have all our tools at your disposal!
Week 6 Challenge: Check out Money Minutes, a new video module series from 360 Degrees of Financial Literacy. During Personal Finance 101, you'll have the opportunity to watch five short videos, each ending with a brief quiz to recap what you learned.
Once you complete each module, tell us how you did! You're allowed as many do-overs as you need - it's important life stuff! For extra credit, share your results with us on Facebook and Twitter to make it a competition with your savings buddy!
Trust us, we know that becoming financially successful can seem out of reach. But, as they say, the proof is in the pudding!
Week 7 Challenge: Read at least one of these real-life financial success stories from Upworthy! Let us know how they inspire you to save with the hashtag #FTP10Challenge:
- One woman worked multiple jobs and downsized her lifestyle to live out her biggest dream. You've seen stories about people taking off and traveling the world. Here's how one woman saved up and did it.
- The story of a couple who put their wedding on a payment plan. They call it the 'wedding industrial complex' for a reason.
- $2,000 in credit card debt can feel like the end of the world. It isn't. With hard work and patience, you can get out of debt.
- Why saving money is hard - and how you can get better at it. If you're like most people, you probably know it's hard to save money. Really hard. But do you know why?
What's the fastest way to reach financial independence? (Hint: the answer isn't "marry into a rich family.") It's by setting goals! Planning ahead will turn your dollars into something you can drive, live or retire in later in life. Now that's what we call "goal digging!"
Week 8 Challenge: Make a plan by choosing up to 3 goals with our YOU save tool, and let us know what they are with the hashtag #FTP10Challenge! Options include:
- Buy a car or house
- Change careers
- Pay off debt
- Plan for retirement
- Worry less about money
- Start a family
We've been through a lot together these past 9 weeks - we've buddied up, got the financial buzz, played a game of Eye Spy, and even inspired you to dream big. Now that we're nearing the end, we want to hear what your all-time favorite moments have been!
Week 9 Challenge: Take a screenshot of your favorite challenge (or write a quick note) and share on social media with the hashtag #FTP10Challenge! For a quick trip down memory lane, here are a few other adventures we've had together:
Is it just us, or did these past 10 weeks fly by?! We hope you had as much fun as we did celebrating 10 years of financial fitness. Saving money can be tough, but we hope the #FTP10Challenge showed you that it can be fun and rewarding when you reach your goals. And now, for your final task!
Week 10 Challenge: The 10 weeks may be up, but financial fitness is forever. Jump-start the rest of your year by creating or updating your savings plan. Then, let us know what you're doing to reach your goals with the hashtag #FTP10Challenge.